Carlton Junior and Infant School


Our School SEND Information Report 

‘Pupils who are new to learning English and disabled pupils and those with special educational needs also make good progress, relative to their starting points, because of high quality pastoral support and well-targeted learning activities.’



The Local Offer - what does it mean for schools?

What is the Kirklees Local Offer?

The Local Offer has been developed as part of the new Children and Families Act. It aims to provide information on education, health and social care provision available for disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs, in a way that can be accessed quickly and easily.  

Who is producing the Local Offer?

Kirklees Council is working with parents, young people, schools, colleges, early years providers and health services to produce the Local Offer. 

What information do schools provide?

Schools have a duty to provide information about special educational needs that is accessible to pupils, parents and carers.   We need to make sure this information is kept up to date.

Where can I find the Local Offer?

The Kirklees Local Offer can be found AT

This is a work in progress. Kirklees Council and partners are working hard to create a Local Offer that includes links to all relevant information that Kirklees residents would find useful. If you have any suggestions for improvements or ideas about what might help you, contact

What are Special Educational Needs?

“A learning difficulty or disability is a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age.”

We provide SEN support for students with significant needs in the following areas:

* Communication and Interaction

  • * Cognition and Learning
  • * Social, mental and emotional health
  • * Sensory and /or Physical


The School SEND Information Report

This utilizes the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

Please click on the questions below:

What do the changes mean?

How does the school know if children need extra help and what should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

How will I raise concerns if I need to?

How will school support my child? Who will oversee, plan, work with my child and how often?

Who will explain this to me?

How are the governors involved and what are their responsibilities?

How will the curriculum matched to my child's needs? What are the school's approaches to differentiation and how will that help my child?

How will I know how my child is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s learning? What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s progress?

How does the school know how well my child is doing?

What support will there be for my child's overall well-being? What is the pastoral, medical and social support available in the school?

How does the school manage the administration of medicines?

What support is there for behaviour, avoiding exclusion and increasing attendance?

How will my child be able to contribute their views?

What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

What training have the staff supporting children with SEND had or are currently having?

How accessible is the school environment?

How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the school and transferring to a new school?

How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s SEN needs?

How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

How do we know if it has had an impact?

How are parents involved in school?

Who can I contact for further information?

Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join the school?